Sunday, September 27, 2015

Telling the Universal Story

One of the many challenges of living with MS is in the over thinking.  I find myself analyzing and second guessing decisions and choices as I move through days, months, years.  I wonder if the actions I take impact the course of the MS in a positive or negative way - what if this or that?  should I have? is any of it really helping???

Are all of us out there trying to manage this disease alone?  Have you received useful advice from health care or other providers that you know for a fact has made a positive impact?  Have you made personal decisions that you know without a shadow of a doubt have moved you closer to or farther from wholeness?

I feel frustrated by the gray areas.  I work hard to do a great many things intentionally and well.  I strive to live in a way that tends to manage my health as much as I can muster.  Mostly I feel good about all of it, but then I have the days where I wonder if any of it matters.  Is my current place just luck or fate or random?  Why is a former classmate of mine in a wheelchair and I am still tackling running (albeit with limited success)?  What makes the difference?

Scanning the medical literature for answers seems futile.  There simply is not enough data to really explore issues fully.  Limited studies hint that lifestyle choices matter, but to what degree and for how long remains shrouded in mystery.  I want more data!  I want more studies!

I want a flood of money to invest in individuals and their outcomes and to quantify and analyze details about diet, exercise, and sleep for us all.  This, of course, is in addition to work being done to reverse and modify the disease within a traditional medical model.

Do you have access to programs that help you manage your MS?  I truly want to know what works:  for YOU and for us all.

Comment here or  email (angela.h.gorman@gmail.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment